Funding for companies in the digital health space surpassed $6B in the first two quarters of 2018, breaking previous records.
- Early stage deals dominate market
- Patient empowerment is most funded type of company (104 deals)
- Companies headquartered in San Fransisco, New York City, and Boston lead deal count
- 3 of the top 10 deals were outside the U.S.
- China funding rivaling U.S.
Despite this growth, only 13% of health-care chief strategy officers feel their organization is prepared for technology transformation.
The majority of officers lack expertise to grow and maintain ecosystem partnerships, develop cross-industry platforms, and build collaborative operating models.
Creating platforms with open architectures are critical to connecting customers with care providers across disparate services, yet most non-tech centric health-care companies don’t know where to start.
Enter Amazon and their recent acquisition of online pharmacy business PillPack, who’s team has deep experience in pharmacy and tech.
Amazon has changed the shopping behavior for nearly every major industry, and now they have their eyes set on pharmacy, and by association, health-care.